Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gavin's First Birthday Party!

I can't believe one year ago I was totally overwhelmed recovering from my 2nd c-section, exhausted and learning to balance life with two babies. At the same time, I was in newborn heaven with my precious, perfect little man. He is still my little man, but one that can make me laugh, play with me and understand me. Today I had the thought how interesting it was that Gavin cannot understand my exact words but he can understand me exactly. You would think it would be frustrating to not be able to communicate with words but all day we communicate and words just don't seem necessary. The older he gets, the better I know exactly what he needs. I guess that is what being a Mom is.


I wanted Gavin to have a special party for his first birthday but more importantly, I wanted to be able to be with him and not running around so we decided to keep it simple. Gavin has a little play kitchen and he loves it, he also loves eating and this year was the 10th anniversary of September 11th so we had a New York style pizza party. This picture is really dark, sorry.


The cake

Red frosting, coconut for cheese, fruit roll-up for pepperoni and mike and ike's for peppers and pineapple



The birthday boy. My good friend Stephanie gave me this apron and I found the same fabric to make his hat. He was the chef of the night.





He left his hat on for the majority of the night, he loved it!


Corban kept telling me it was his birthday.



How cute he?


Daddy feeding Gavin his birthday cake


Opening gifts!






Loving his new car!




Look at all of his friends! Thank you guys all for coming and for loving him and being an important part of his life.




This is him the actual morning of his birthday. I woke him up singing Happy Birthday and he got so excited, didn't expect that!





He got the traditional birthday breakfast, french toast and eggs.


And then, we went to get him a new forward-facing carseat! Now everytime I look behind me, this is what I see, hard to keep my eyes on the road.


Also as a side note, on the tenth anniversary of September 11th, I love America that much more. Sometimes we need to be brought low before we rise up strong.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

He's so adorable; I wish we could have been there. Did you make the pizza cake?! I don't know how you can keep driving with those two very cute faces smiling at you!