Monday, June 15, 2009

Another First, THE DEL MAR FAIR!!!

All year we have been looking forward to the day when we could introduce Corban to the Del Mar Fair! So you know we couldn't wait another day and went opening weekend. He loved all of the bright lights, music and smells. Here he is in the compound of the chicken barn and he got his first initiation by putting on the famous red cowboy hat.

He got to meet his great Grandma Dee for the first time and loved her. My Grandma is such a strong woman. She is the one who got us into the fairs. When she was a single mom, she worked the register at a fair and decided that the real money would be in owning one herself so she hired a carpenter and built her dream stand that she had envisioned in her mind, the little red chicken barn and has been a concessionaire ever since. We love you Grandma and love our carnie blood.
Amber getting hit on by some wishful thinkers.

Some of the team, notice how baby hungry Britt is! Loving on Corban all day.


Trevor and Grandpa, he was so excited to work the counter.


Yummy Nacho Supreme, when I was about 12 years old my job was to walk around with one of these just so people would ask what it was and where they could buy one. I know what your thinking but it works everytime.


These are some of the husbands that have all passed the fair test. In our family we have a joke that you can't marry a guy until he has worked the fair and proved to be a hard worker. Ryan loved the fair so much that him and Chair ran their own food stand for a while. Matt has worked the fair a day here and there for about 10 years, mostly before we were married and yes of course he passed the test. Ask him about frying bugs in the fryer with Nicole. This was David's first year of working the fair and he was a natural, welcome to the Coleman carnie college!


Britt and David with their beloved badges, these things are magic and get you anything you want at the fair.

Just a little family stroll through the gardens and I just heard an interesting fact that this is where Tyson first kissed Jen after his mission! It is so romantic in here, he has good taste.





I love the fair, I have the best memories here with my family from my childhood and I am so happy to share it with my new family. I will post more pics. of the fair when we go again.

6 comments:

JS said...

You are too funny. I can't believe you wrote about our second first kiss on your blog. I laughed so hard when I read that. Wasn't expecting it!

hehe

still laughing

Anonymous said...

How can you not love the fair?! We can't wait to go.
Robert & Sheryl

Alisa said...

you're such a cute mamma!!! Hope you're doing well! Someday I'd love to come see the fair I've heard so much about!

Anonymous said...

Mel, that was our favorite post ever! I didn't realize that I held Corban so much, but you have pictures to prove it. I didn't mind, he was such a doll. Can't wait to see you guys again 4th of July weekend. We had so much fun with you guys this weekend. Thanks for the pictures, I didn't use my camera at all this weekend. Love ya.

Brittany and David

Ashley Slaten said...

Corban is so cute! I can't believe he's crawling and talking etc. It looks like everyone is having a good time at the fair. We're staying in San Diego over the 4th of July weekend and are definitely going to introduce Zoe to Del Mar. Hope we see you there!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THESE PICS!!!! I miss you all so much! I Love the fair, You all look beautiful!
love you mel,

Love Nicole