Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Corban is 4!

I had an ephiphany this year at 9 months pregnant, each one of my kids do not need to have a birthday party every year. So this year we decided to take it easy and focus all my birthday planning energy to just making Corban feel special and loved. This is how we spent the day:
 
 
Woke up to a house full of ballons and decorations, breakfast in bed then I asked Corban where he wanted to go and he said the Oak Glen Park. His friends met us up there and we had a great morning at the park.
 
Came home and waited for Daddy to come home for Corban's special dinner and cake and ice cream.

 

 
Corban wanted tater tots and pancakes.

 
And then we rolled out one of his birthday presents! As you can tell from the previous pictures, he really really needed this.

 
Cake and ice cream!! Corban got to choose the frosting colors and helped me make and frost the cake.


 
That weekend, we took him to the beach which is his happy place. Yummy balboa bar.
 
 
We borrowed a porch we loved on Balboa Island for a super cheesy brother picture.


Then headed to the wedge. I love watching these waves, there is always so much energy on this beach cheering on the surfers trying to actually catch one of these monsters.
 

 
 Sand is the best babysitter ever!

 

 
 
Every day when Gavin is taking a nap, corban comes with me into the kitchen and says,"What are we going to make?" We make dinner or bake together and it has been such a special time for me to talk to him and find out the things that are on his mind. He is so intuitive and thoughtful. He asks me so many questions and it is kinda like his "sponge" time of the day when I can really teach him. Today we were having a conversation about mosquitos and I had a flashback to this:  . . .
 




 . . . . and I couldn't believe how much he had grown up. When they are that little, you can't even imagine having a conversation with them. How special these last four years have been to me because of you Corban. Tomorrow I am really going to savor you being just 'four years old.'


3 comments:

JS said...

What a special day for a special boy. He is 4. can't believe it. So glad that is still little.. ;)

Alisa said...

such a sweet post about corban! He is so so cute Mel! I think we need to get him and my Olivia together when they're older--corban's baby picture cheeks and oivia's cheeks could combine for some mega cheeks:)

Sheryl said...

What a fun birthday! I love his dinner choice! Great photos too. Yes, you've gotta love those cheeks.