Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Wonderful Day

I have to say that one of my favorite things about California is that there is so much to explore. We are in search for a new gas-saving car so we took a trip to downtown San Diego to look at a promising craigslist listing. The seller ended up being really dishonest and shady but we did get a wonderful day out of it. We decided to take the boys to the place we got married;


The San Diego Temple in all it's glory.



Right as we pulled up we asked Corban if he knew where we were and he said, "Ahh, . The TEMPLE!" One of his favorite primary songs is, "I Love to See the Temple." So it was so important for him to be able to touch the temple. He ran right up to it and touched it very softly. It was like he felt that it was a sacred place. He is such a learning sponge right now.


The buddies

This picture is so funny to me because I remember the morning before we got married walking in this door with Matt. I can honestly say, I wasn't nervous, I knew he was the man for me. But I knew the minute I walked out, my life was never going to be the same again. It was such a change in my life for the better. I began to realize it wasn't just about me, that I had a spouse to consider and take care of. That realization keeps progressing with each baby we add to our lives.



This picture is so sweet to me. . The role of a Father is so crucial to a child's life. My boys will learn to be men from what they observe from their own Dad, thank goodness.



Who would ever thought that 5 years after getting married, we would have created these two little fuzzy heads.


Then we decided to try out the Mormon Battalion Historical Visitor Center. I thought, oh Mel why am I bring two children under 3 years to a place like this but the minute we pulled up I thankfully was wrong. It was absolutely AMAZING!! The tour is a unique experience where you sit by the campfire on wood logs, take shelter out of the storm in a general store to personally hear the story of these people from the 1800's, pan for your own gold all in a brand new facility. Seriously, this could be an attraction at Disneyland. I will definitely be going back soon, my boys were captivated. The best part ever, it is free!

They print out a picture for you


This is probably where Corban would be if we had to cross the plains.


Inside the General Store, Corban got into the Mormon Battalion spirit



Panning for gold, it isn't as easy as it looks!



These restored homes captured my heart.




We decided we would live here if we were alive then.


And, . . be so happy to live there now if we could.



Wow, downtown San Diego, you suprised me today. I am excited to go back and explore, there was so much that we didn't get to see.


2 comments:

Myra said...

Oh Mel... I love hearing about your adventures.. You are such the writer.

Kristy said...

All your pictures made me so happy and wanting to go home and be a tourist for the day! I miss you! Can we PLEASE play soon? Maybe we need to go to SD for the day and go eat Mr. Frosties ice cream too!