Saturday, June 18, 2011

GAVIN















It is so funny how different two kids from the same parents can be. And it is even more interesting how young you can see those differences. The more hours and days I spend getting to know Gavin, the more complete my life is and the more I melt from his pure cuteness. Here is a little bit about him:

Gavin is BUSY! He only lets me snuggle him in the 30 seconds before he falls asleep, I close my eyes and take it all in having his chubby, squishy limp body in my arms. And, the only way he will let me hold him is over my left shoulder so he can suck his thumb.

He wants to do everything his brother does. He is so frustrated crawling right now because he wants to be walking. When my back can handle it, I will hold his hands and let him walk around the house with Corban and they crack up chasing eachother. He mimicks everything Corban does, clicking his tongue, singing, clapping.

He always wants to be part of the action. When I nurse him, it has to be in complete silence otherwise he is completely distracted at the faintest sound. he will hear a cricket outside and try to figure out what it is.

He is very detail oriented. Right now he is like my little vacuume. All day long I catch him slowly reaching with his index finger and thumb for the smallest piece of thread in the carpet. He is much like his Dad this way.

He is a thumb sucker, and right now it is so so cute, might not be a few years from now.

He is heavy! 23 pounds, when are they going to make a lightweight carseat I can carry!

Hair is stick straight. Sorry Gav, all the curls went to your brother.

He can make Corban laugh harder than anyone else. The love Gavin has for his brother goes both ways. Corban is his biggest fan and is always asking me if he can wake him up to play. The other day I saw Corban consoling Gavin in the grocery store when he got upset. Gavin is always the first person Corban wants to see when he wakes up.

Such a good mellow baby. He just goes with the flow and is happy as long as he has been fed and is around his family. We are so lucky to have you in our family Gavin, I can't wait to get to know you even better in the coming months and years.

With the second baby it has become even more apparent to me that the Lord really has a lot of faith in us as parents. Knowing that, it makes me want to live up to that trust and become the mom he really knows I can be. There are times like today when I wake up in the morning and have a list of things I HAVE to accomplish. Then I feel constant tugging from little fingers and I remember that I am first a Mom and that I will be happier if I let my babies dictate my life more than my to-do list. Instead of staying on hold with the insurance company I find myself crawling on the floor with giggling kids. I hope I can really feast on these moments and not let them pass me by. Right when I feel like I have, "being a mom" down, my kids get older and change and I have to change along with them. I am really lucky to have a good companion with me to know when I reach my breaking point, he can take over, and he does. I apologize for this long rambling but something about raising kids inspires me to want to write. So for what it is worth, I have the best most fulfilling job, it is all about enduring the hard times because being a mom is HUMBLING and you are stripped of your ego. I think sometimes my struggle is keeping up physically with them. I have to remind myself, eat lunch, drink water and take care of yourself because every minute is spent taking care of them. I have learned the hard way that when i don't take care of myself, I end up having to still take care of everyone while I am sick which is very overwhelming. I have so much to learn still and I hope Corban and Gavin can be patient with me, I promise I will do my best.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

He is a doll! I hope he will endure some snuggling from Grandma and Grandpa O this summer.