Sunday, August 30, 2009

One Year Stats

Wow can you believe it has actually been one year? This is Corban when he was just a month old. I love his little clenched fists. He was such a precious little baby. I can almost smell his little newborn body just by looking at this picture.


Here he is a year later, still so precious. As you can tell both his shirt and hair have faded, he has managed to get a little tan and still has those chubby cheeks, arms, legs and belly.


Here are the one -year Corban stats:

Weight: 22 lbs

Height: 2'6"

Head measuring 18.5"

He has worked very hard to get 6 teeth, and has two more coming in.


Cool Tricks:

-Clicks his tongue

-Claps

-Waves

-Laughs, a lot

-Kisses (open mouth on the lips of course)

-Still hugs and snuggles all of the time

-Throws a mean football

-Crawls everywhere

-Walks with a walker

-Scrinches his nose

-Signs, "more," and "all done"

-Jumps in his bed

Not So Cool Tricks:

-Grinds his teeth

-Poops

-Screams at the top of his lungs, literally

I survived and loved the first year of being a Mom! I remember as a new mom, seeing my friends so confident in being a mother and a part of me wondered if I would ever gain that same confidence. A year later I can say I definitely have and I thank Corban for being patient with me as I learned from trial and error. Motherhood is still my most favorite job, and by far the most rewarding. I have not been without those overwhelming days, but those days have forced me to stretch beyond my breaking point only to discover I am capable of so much more.

I can't help but reflect that a little over a year ago I was pregnant and stressed about how it was all going to work out. A year later I can see how everything came together and why things happened the way they did. I worked full-time before Corban was born and really wanted to be able to stay home with him so I took this concern to the Lord and my prayer was answered. When I was 8 months pregnant, (note*as I was going to turn in my tithing), a friend asked us if we wanted to be apartment managers for a complex in our ward. A week later another friend asked me if I wanted to work from home 3 hours a day in the am, (which turned out to be right during Corban's nap), then the day after Corban was born, Matt got a call that an environmental engineering company wanted to interview him. That day he got the job where he still works today. I am still so amazed when I remind myself of how perfectly things fell into place. I think the Lord really wanted Corban to come to earth.

Because the Lord blessed me to be able to stay home with Corban, I am thankful for even the mundane parts of my day that allow me to spend time with my son. I feel like he teaches me what it means to be more Christlike, because that's naturally how he is. I have so much to learn from him. We will see what is in store for us a year from now, but for now I am just grateful for what I have.

5 comments:

Emily C said...

he's getting blonder and blonder!

p.s. you are such a good example

{autie} said...

you're the cutest mom, Mel..You always put my mind back into perspective when I read your blogs. Corban is such a sweet boy, and you've done an awesome job!

Tiffanie said...

I love how you have him wearing the same shirt in both pictures, way clever! I'm going to do that... (btw, I'm one of Charity's mission comps, Hermana Hibbert. She needs to update her blog!! OR return my phone calls... :) tell her hi for me. Thanks!) And my kids loved the video she made for you. when I'm at my computer, my 4 year old will come and ask if he can watch the "Mel Mel"

Brandon and Kim Waldron said...

You made me cry. Thank you for sharing, being a mom is truly the greatest gift

Myra said...

I'm so proud of you honey. Motherhood is amazing.